March 16, 2020
Parents and guardians,
Hello. I hope this email finds you and your family feeling healthy and enjoying time together at home during spring break. This has been a busy few weeks in Mentor Schools following the rapidly changing developments surrounding the Coronavirus Disease 2019. As you know, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine closed school buildings for students until at least April 6. But the reality is… this could last much longer. The Governor has publicly stated this remote learning situation could last through the end of the school year. Today, we want to provide several updates for you.
Online Distance Learning
We were deep into the work on our distance learning plan when the Governor made the announcement about the school closure. The learning plan was shared with our team and teachers had their already-scheduled workday Friday to collaborate and get ready for implementation, which will begin Tuesday, March 24. It is important that I mention how proud I am of our staff and how they immediately rallied to take this educational challenge head-on! Our team is ready to support students and help get them through these unprecedented times.
Online Lessons Begin Tuesday, March 24, 2020
- Students will receive information about their lessons directly from their teachers, via typical mediums, such as email, Schoology, Google Classroom, SeeSaw, etc...
- The Online School Day is from 8:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. Students may work on assignments outside of those hours; that is simply the time teachers will be most available for questions and interaction.
- Teachers will be unrolling new content for students during this time, with fewer assessments than normal. We will be careful to not overload students with work.
- If children need support with their online learning or a specific assignment, please first contact the teacher and then a building administrator, if needed.
- If children need support from our IT Department for help with their device, please contact email@example.com.
K-5 Device Pickup
Beginning tonight (March 16th) at 8:00 p.m. we cannot accept any more requests for devices for K-5 students. Parents who requested to have their elementary-aged child(ren)’s devices at home may pick up the device on Wednesday, March 18th between 7:30 - 9:00 a.m. and between 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. at their child’s school.
Free & Reduced Lunch Program
For our families who are approved for our Free & Reduced lunch program, our Nutrition Services department will be preparing grab-and-go style breakfast and lunch meals for you. This service will begin on Monday, March 23, 2020. Meals will be available Monday through Friday.
- Families may pick up their meals on the North side of MHS (by the Fine Art Center) between 9:00 and 11:00 a.m.
- Meals may be picked up for other families who are qualified for Free & Reduced lunches. If you cannot make it, then ask a friend or neighbor to pick up for you. You will simply need to provide the qualifying child(ren)’s name(s).
- It is not too late to submit an application for the Free and Reduced Lunch Program. If you feel your family may now qualify, here is a link to the application.
Please contact Ginni Vaccaro at Vaccaro@mentorschools.org or (440)974-5227 with any questions.
We are working to continue our important mental health services with our partners at Crossroads. Crossroads is currently working to create some Telehealth options our students and families can use. We will share more information with families of students who use these services as it becomes available.
Student Registration & Fingerprinting
The board office is now closed to the public. Good news: our new student and kindergarten registration processes can take place completely online now. Here is a link for kindergarten registration information and here is a link for new student registration. Anyone who wants to complete the kindergarten registration process in-person will have to wait until our offices are re-opened for business. Additionally, fingerprinting is no longer being done until further notice.
Grading Deadline Changed
The third quarter grading window has been adjusted. Report Cards will be posted by 8:00 a.m. on the Parent Portal on Wednesday, March 25, 2020.
Call 211 Service
211 is a free, confidential referral and information helpline and website that connects people of all ages and from all communities to the essential health and human services they need, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 211 can be accessed by phone or computer.
Many of our employees will be moving to work-from-home as we work to do our part in limiting the spread of the Coronavirus in our community. But, as outlined above, some of our employees will need to report to work to make these initiatives happen. Please know we will continue to communicate with you regularly through this evolving situation. As a reminder, here is a link that takes you to our website with all of the previous communications we’ve sent surrounding the Coronavirus.
We are navigating uncharted territory together. Thank you for your continued support of our students, staff and schools.
Mentor Public Schools